Where to start? For some folks radically, for others, one change at a time, maintained for 2-4 weeks until it becomes a habit. Here are some suggestions.
1. Triple you intake of vegetables (not including french fries 🙂 ) = lots of nutrients and filling. Besides green veggies, think beans and beets and sweet potatoes (minus the butter and the “candy”).
2. Walk 30 min every day for 30 days.
3. Shop for and cook food. Shop the periphery of the store (veggies/fruits/meats/fish) and avoid prepared and processed foods.
4. Eat breakfast every day.
5. Get a buddy in this journey!
6. Commit to walking up 1 flight, down 2 flights of stairs instead of or in addition to taking the elevator.
7. Use spices (salt-free) and not salt and sugar to season food.
8. Avoid eating out. When you do eat out, ask specifically for no sauces (or on the side); ideally grilled or steamed preparations. 80% of the time, people comply with my requests.
9. Avoid cheese and bacon (especially when eating out) – these add loads of fat to food.
10. Don’t drink soda or fruit juices. Drink water! Drink milk, but work towards skim. If you drink whole milk, switch to 2%; if you drink 2%, switch to 1%….