Metabolic syndrome linked to cognitive decline in older adults
What’s metabolic syndrome?
…according to National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III (NCEP ATPIII) criteria, which require the presence of three or more of the following:
- Elevated blood pressure (systolic >130 mm Hg or diastolic >85 mm Hg) or use of antihypertensive medication.
- Large waist circumference (women >88 cm (34.6″) and men >102 cm (40.2″)).
- Elevated triglycerides (>150 mg/dL).
- Low HDL cholesterol (women <50 mg/dL and men <40 mg/dL).
- Hyperglycemia (>110 mg/dL), nonfasting glycemia >200 mg/dL, or antidiabetic medication.
I used to have metabolic syndrome – but, no more!