In general, I like this NY Times video about teens struggling to lose weight, but there are several things I would criticize:
- I believe it is hard to eat enough veggies without cooking them. Raw carrots and celery alone won’t get it for most folks. I COOK 1/2 – 1 lb of green veggies (with spices and a TEAspoon of olive oil) for every lunch and dinner
- I don’t believe that 1/2 plate of “salad” is sufficient green veggies if it’s just 2 oz of iceberg lettuce. I count on a larger weight of veggies to help fill me and keep me satisfied.
- What’s that fat-filled dip doing with the celery???
- I believe the kid cooking at the end of the clip has far too much oil in the pan. Olive oil is good, but unlimited quantities are not.
What I do like:
- The acknowledgment that physicians alone cannot fix the problem
- The use of “fun” exercise (handball), as opposed to boring exercise (sit-ups)
- The focus on inner-city kids, who are at high risk of obesity today, and diabetes and high blood pressure in the future (or maybe even now).