Let’s Move! has an ambitious but important goal: to solve the epidemic of childhood obesity within a generation.
The report provides measurable goals, benchmarks, and outcomes designed to reduce the child obesity rate from 20% now to 5% in 2030. The report makes recommendations in 5 key areas:
1. Getting children a healthy start on lifewith good prenatal care for their parents; support for breastfeeding; limits on “screen time”; and quality child care settings.
2. Empowering parents and caregiverswith messages about nutritional choices; improved labels on food and menus; reduced marketing of unhealthy products to children; and improved health care services.
3. Providing healthy food in schoolsthrough improvements in federally‐supported school meals; upgrading the nutritional quality of foods sold in schools; and improving nutrition education.
4. Improving access to healthy, affordable foodby eliminating “food deserts”in urban and rural America; and lowering the relative prices of healthier foods.
5. Getting children more physically active through physical education and recess; addressing the “built environment”that makes it difficult for children to walk or bike safely in their communities; and improving access to safe parks, playgrounds, and recreational facilities.