Most salad bars are not your friend. Lettuce is not particularly filling or nutritious. Most people can’t eat enough raw broccoli to get full… I usually COOK 1/2 to 1 pound of green veggies for each lunch and dinner, with 1 TEAspoon olive oil.
How to stay out of trouble at the salad bar:
- Avoid (or severely limit) cheese and bacon, both of which are high in fat.
- The same for dressings – on the side, dip your fork in it. Olive oil is good for you, but not in unlimited quantities.
- Try to get protein from beans, tuna salad, chicken salad (although these salads are often overloaded with mayo).
- Avoid anything “crunchy” or “crispy” = FRIED.
- Avoid pasta salad slathered in salad dressing.
- Avoid fruit in “syrup” = SUGAR.