A few general rules help me at the supermarket:
- Make a list before you go.
- Eat before you shop, so that you’re not hungry, and therefore better able to stick to your list.
- Shop the periphery of the store, where produce and other fresh food tend to be.
- Avoid the middle aisles as much as possible
- Avoid “new and improved.” Avoid “healthy.” My oatmeal has 1 ingredient = Oatmeal!
I did get something from the middle aisles = frozen spinach (the only ingedient). I noted there were far more rows of frozen pizza than frozen veggies 🙁
And lastly, maximize your activity level in every day life:
- Park far from the front door.
- Return the shopping basket.